Accessing an orthoptist

Referrals to orthoptists are usually made through an ophthalmologist. If a squint is suspected, a crucial part of the eye examination is a fundus check (where the inside of the eye is examined, usually after dilating the pupils) and refraction (a glasses test). This is done by the ophthalmologist, who will prescribe glasses if necessary, and refer the patient to the orthoptist.

For details on your nearest orthoptist, see the directory.

If you are the parent of child and you have concerns about a possible squint, you should see your GP, who will examine the child and refer you to the nearest eye clinic if needed.

Vision screening is carried out nationally at school entry and at school exit by school nurses. You will be given the opportunity prior to the test to express any concerns, and a referral may then be made accordingly.